Name: Patterson Keller Jr.
Hometown: Cody, Wyoming
Book: Slapping Leather
Genre: Modern Western
- Describe your book in 10 words or less. FBI agents hunt down a quick draw killer.
- What made you want to write Slapping Leather? I was interested in writing the screenplays for movies. Movies are often made out of novels, so I decide to change one of the screenplays to see if that helped get a movie producer to make the film.
- How long did it take you to write your book? Once I decided to make the novel it took me about a year.
- How do you choose the names of your characters? Just names that have liked and thought they would be right in the story.
- What do you do when you have writer’s block? I try doing character pairs to see where the story should go from there.
- What was your favorite chapter (or part) to write and why? I liked doing the prelude to the story. I was born in Sundance Wyoming where the prelude takes place. Went back to Sundance to celebrate my last birthday and make the chapter more realistic to what the area looks like.
- If you were stuck on an island and had to have one person from each category with you, who would they be and why?
- One character from your book: Bill Farnham. He is a young person who has not become jaded by life.
- One fictional character: Jack Reacher. Down to earth man.
- One famous person: Winston Churchill. I would like to ask him some questions about World War Two.
- Besides writing, what are your other interests? History and riding my bike.
- Do you keep a journal? No.
- How did you celebrate the publishing of Slapping Leather? I had a beer.
- If your book was made into a movie, who would play the main characters? Ryan Gosling
- What did you enjoy most about working with Dorrance Publishing? Employees are very responsive to your questions.
- Five favorite books of all time? The Hunt for October, To Kill a Mockingbird, Polar Star, Never Go Back, and The Hunger Games.
- One sentence of advice for other writers? Earnest Hemingway’s advice to writers was to write about the weather because everyone is interested in that.