Name: Louise Davis
Book: Grandpa’s Boots
Genre: Children’s Books
- Describe your book in 10 words or less. A sweet story about a little girl and her Grandpa.
- What made you want to write your book? Every summer growing up, I would visit my Grandparents who lived in Hawaii and I loved going to help my Grandpa on his ranch. I had so many fond memories that I wanted to put some of those happy times in a children’s book to share with others.
- How long did it take you to write your book? The actual writing probably took me a couple of weeks. I had some hold ups on illustrators so I had been waiting for about five years before I decided to publish with Dorrance and use one of the illustrators there.
- How do you choose the names of your characters? I use the first name that pops into my head when I am writing. Even if I try to change it later, I usually end up liking that first name I think of best.
- What do you do when you have writer’s block? Listen to some of my favorite music or go spend some time with family and friends to relax and refresh.
- What was your favorite chapter (or part) to write and why? I love the part at the end when Klair gets her own pair of boots, because I feel like it was a touching way to show the relationship between a little girl and her Grandpa.
- If you were stuck on an island and had to have one person from each category with you, who would they be and why?
- One character from your book: Grandpa, becaue he is a hard worker and reliable.
- One fictional character: Hermoine from Harry Potter, because she is spunky and a great problem solver.
- One famous person: Lindsey Stirling, because we would have awesome music to keep our spirits high.
- Besides writing, what are your other interests? I love to read, watch movies, ride horses, ride ATVs in the mountains, relax by the water and spend time with friends and family.
- Do you keep a journal? I used to, but I have switched to documenting my life with photobooks.
- How did you celebrate the publishing of your book? I read it to my children–super fun experience for me!
- If your book was made into a movie, who would play the main characters? Robert Duvall to play Grandpa and Austyn Johnson as Klair.
- What did you enjoy most about working with Dorrance Publishing? How friendly everyone was and how smooth the whole process was.
- Five favorite books of all time? The Giver by Lois Lowry, The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis, The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling, The Host by Stephanie Meyer and favorite children’s book is Pingo by Brandon Mull.
- One sentence of advice for other writers? Don’t give up and never lose your inner child.