Author Spotlight: Ed Higdon
Name: Ed Higdon
Hometown: Decatur, Alabama
Book: No Place to Hide
- Describe your book in 10 words or less. A feel good book. bad situations turn out good.
- What made you want to write No Place to Hide? Always loved to read and thought I could do better than some books I read.
- How long did it take you to write your book? About 3-4 weeks of writing but I have been thinking about it for years.
- How do you choose the names of your characters? From whatever popped into my head but simple names, except Frenchie, who was my best friend as USMC and later.
- What do you do when you have writer’s block? Take a nap and work around the house.
- What was your favorite chapter (or part) to write and why? Billy finding the dog under the church and quail hunting, which was my father-in-law’s favorite sport.
- If you were stuck on an island and had to have one person from each category with you, who would they be and why?
- One character from your book: Black cloud, the dog
- One fictional character: The Black Stallion, which I read as a kid
- One famous person: John Wayne
- Besides writing, what are your other interests? Volunteering with Civitan, Gideons International, fishing, NASCAR and Alabama Football
- Do you keep a journal? No.
- How did you celebrate the publishing of your book? Called the family to tell them it’s real.
- If your book was made into a movie, who would play the main characters? Julia Roberts as Emily and Sam Elliot as Richard
- What did you enjoy most about working with Dorrance Publishing? Their response and helpfulness or willingness to help and advice. Especially the artwork.
- Favorite books of all time? Black Stallion, W.E.B. Griffith’s Marine Corp Series, and Beach Road by James Patterson.
- One sentence of advice for other writers? Keep it simple, write about what you know.