Author Spotlight: Celestine Allen
Name: Celestine Allen
Hometown: San Antonio, Texas
Book: The Price of Love
- Describe your book in 10 words or less. Money can sometimes cause problems with love.
- What made you want to write The Price of Love? I wanted to write something I would enjoy reading.
- How long did it take you to write your book? It took me years to write because I would write some parts and stop for months at a time.
- How do you choose the names of your characters? I think of a name and then try to see what it means in a name book.
- What do you do when you have writer’s block? I will read another book or work on a different story.
- What was your favorite chapter (or part) to write and why? Chapter 13 when Serena fusses at Otis was my favorite part.
- If you were stuck on an island and had to have one person from each category with you, who would they be and why?
- One character from your book: Mrs. Bessie because she didn’t take any mess.
- One fictional character: Celie from The Color Purple. She had struggles but made it through.
- One famous person: Michelle Obama because she seems strong and seems like someone people can depend on.
- Besides writing, what are your other interests? I love to read. I enjoy spending time with my family. I would love to travel more.
- Do you keep a journal? Yes, I keep two. One I write in once or twice a year. It keeps me on track of big events in my life and one that I write in almost every day to keep me on track.
- How did you celebrate the publishing of your book? I’m having a party with family and friends.
- If your book was made into a movie, who would play the main characters? I think I would want some unknown actors, so people would pay attention to the story and not the actor’s name.
- What did you enjoy most about working with Dorrance Publishing? There was someone to help me every step of the way. I like having a personal contact person.
- Five favorite books of all time? Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility, The Color Purple, Their Eyes Were Watching God, Beloved
- One sentence of advice for other writers? Write what you enjoy reading; keep writing and don’t stop…don’t be scared to step out on faith.