Name: B.L. Barger
Hometown: Lancaster, OH
Genre: Romance/Sci-fi Adventure
- Describe your book in 10 words or less. Megiddo is the third book in a sci-fi trilogy.
- What made you want to write Megiddo? It is the culmination of a story that begins with The Sirius Connection, continues with The Atlas Array, and comes to a thrilling conclusion within the pages of Megiddo.
- How long did it take you to write your book? Approximately six months.
- How do you choose the names of your characters? The human characters’ names are derived from manipulation of the names of family and friends. The alien characters’ names were a product of my imagination.
- What do you do when you have writer’s block? I step away and paint landscapes or read.
- What was your favorite chapter (or part) to write and why? In Megiddo, I particularly enjoyed creating the introduction of the blond squad and also writing the final battle scenes.
- If you were stuck on an island and had to have one person from each category with you, who would they be and why?
- One character from you book: Raffa Qatar–He is charming and very clever at devising solutions to difficult problems.
- One fictional character from any other book: Eve Dallas. She is a tough customer.
- One famous person: Sir Richard Branson. He has a yacht!
- Besides writing, what are your other interests? I enjoy singing, painting, and all things meteorological or pertaining to the workings of the universe. Yes, I am a space and weather geek.
- Do you keep a journal? No, I’m not that interesting–even to myself.
- How did you celebrate the publishing of Megiddo? I didn’t except to announce it on Facebook.
- If your book was made into a movie, who would play the main characters? I have actually written a screenplay adapted from The Sirius Connection, which is where this story begins. It is in the query process. For Maxine, I would choose Jennifer Lawrence; For Kavi, I would choose Chris Evans; For Raffa, I would choose Chris Hemsworth; For Atropo, I would choose Lupita Nyong’o; For Kei, I would choose Zoe Saldana.
- What did you enjoy most about working with Dorrance Publishing? Their professionalism.
- Five favorite books of all time? Robicheaux by James Lee Burke; Outlander by Diana Gabaldon; Watership Down by Richard Adams; The Rift by Walter J Williams; The Tommyknockers by Stephen King.
- One sentence of advice for other writers? If you can’t land a literary agent, be extremely cautious in choosing a self-publishing agency without the reputation of Dorrance. Many don’t honor their marketing promises and will withhold royalties.