Name: Brandon Domineck
Hometown: Atlanta, GA/Newan, GA
Book: When Love Knocks
- Describe your book in 10 words or less. Drama-filled, emotional, and very unique
- What made you want to write When Love Knocks? I love movies like Forrest Gump, I Am Sam, and Tru Confessions (a Disney Channel movie), but they all tell the same story: People with mental illness overcoming their disabilities which great, but what about the physically disabled overcoming their disabilities and impacting those around them? Who is going to be their voice?
- How long did it take you to write your book? It took me nine months to write it. At the time I thought that was a long time to write a book, but now I know that’s not long at all.
- How do you choose the names of your characters? Not sure. The names just came to me.
- What do you do when you have writer’s block? I put the book down until I have something to say.
- What was your favorite chapter (or part) to write and why? I have two parts of the book that I like. When Summer came to Carter for help, and he didn’t know how to help her anymore and also the very end because I felt they were the most emotional parts. Writing this book helped me to release my emotions.
- If you were stuck on an island and had to have one famous person with you, who would it be and why? Cicely Tyson because I’m a huge fan of her work. She’s such an inspiration, with empowering roles that she does and she does them well. Her longevity proves that she loves what she does. I will love to have a conversation with her to see what motivates her to keep acting and what hardships she had to overcome. Plus, we have the same birthday.
- Besides writing, what are your other interests? I love listening to Michael Jackson. Although he wasn’t disabled, he said a lot of things that I felt, and his songs are just fun.
- Do you keep a journal? No, I do not keep a journal.
- How did you celebrate the publishing of When Love Knocks? I went to Facebook and Instagram and went posting crazy.
- If your book was made into a movie, who would play the main characters? I’ve always been a fan of Keke Palmer. With her beauty and dramatic ability, I think she would portray Summer like a dream. I would love for Michael B. Jordan to play Carter. He is an amazing actor and I think if there’s there’s anyone who could bring Carter to life, it’s him.
- What did you enjoy most about working with Dorrance Publishing? Dorrance really made my dream come true. They were always there when I had a problem. They have been very patient with me.
- Five favorite books of all time? A Christmas Carol, A Light to My Path, The Autobiography of Malcolm X, B-More Careful, Black Girl Lost
- One sentence of advice for other writers? Don’t let anyone wake you up from your dream.