Author Spotlight: John Buhl
Name: John Buhl
Hometown: East Haddam, Connecticut
Book: Banished: A Band of Rebels
- Describe your book in 10 words or less. A man rebels against a tyrannical empire
- What made you want to write Banished: A Band of Rebels? I am a fan of R.R. Martin and C.S. Lewis
- How long did it take you to write your book? I started the book when I was 12 years old. Two years.
- How do you choose the names of your characters? The names need to have a ring to them and they need to be relatable to what will be planned for them in the story.
- What do you do when you have writer’s block? I am yet to have writer’s block.
- What was your favorite chapter (or part) to write and why? The first chapter was my favorite because it kicked off the whole idea of the rebel.
- If you were stuck on an island and had to have one person from each category with you, who would they be and why?
- One character from your book: Clovis because he is a natural leader.
- One fictional character: Robinson Crusoe because he would help me survive.
- One famous person: Bear Grylls because he has the skills and talent to survive.
- Besides writing, what are your other interests? Hiking and swimming
- Do you keep a journal? No.
- How did you celebrate the publishing of your book? This is in the process but it will most likely be a small family party.
- If your book was made into a movie, who would play the main characters? Chris Evans
- What did you enjoy most about working with Dorrance Publishing? The efficiency of their process while taking the time to understand the goals of the writer.
- Five favorite books of all time? Live and Let Die, The Godfather, The Harry Potter Series, The Stranger, The Great Gatsby
- One sentence of advice for other writers? Have patience and pace yourself. Good ideas come with time.