Author Spotlight: Carl Gravely
Name: Carl Gravely
Hometown: Mount Airy, NC
Book: The Year I Was Bullied
- Describe your book in 10 words or less. Bullying life story from the experiences of the author, to help save lives and inspire.
- What made you want to write The Year I Was Bullied? To save lives and to inspire the many victims of bullying like myself.
- How long did it take you to write your book? About two years.
- How do you choose the names of your characters? The characters in my book are based on the people who bullied me. I just used their first initials to create the characters’ names.
- What do you do when you have writer’s block? Listen to music that inspires me, where my creative juices can flow.
- What was your favorite chapter (or part) to write and why? I don’t really have a favorite part of my book. I enjoy it all.
- If you were stuck on an island and had to have one person from each category with you, who would they be and why?
- One character from your book: My brother, Joseph Brown
- One fictional character: Scarecrow from The Wizard of Oz
- One famous person: Michael Jackson
- Besides writing, what are your other interests? I love to create new stories for TV shows, movies, plays, and musicals. And I love to sing which keeps my stress level down.
- Do you keep a journal? No, I do not.
- How did you celebrate the publishing of your book? I had a book release party on June 10.
- If your book was made into a movie, who would play the main characters? Now that’s a tricky question. There are so many great actresses and actors out there, it would be hard to pick just one.
- What did you enjoy most about working with Dorrance Publishing? Great teamwork, fast product, honest communication. And affordable publishing.
- Five favorite books of all time? The Wizard of Oz, Diana: In Your Own Words, Caitlyn Jenner: Secrets of My Life, A Mother’s Reckoning by Sue Klebold, and Stephen King’s IT.
- One sentence of advice for other writers? If you have a story and you believe deep down that it will save a life or even inspire someone, then write it and reach out to Dorrance because they will make your dream a reality. Your story can do more for others…more than you really think.